Thursday, August 9, 2012

Chicken Divan-tastic

Growing up, my mom made family dinner every night.  Every. Single. Night. This didn't mean to much to me growing up, as I assumed this was everyone's normal. Now that I'm a "grown up" (but let's use that term loosely) I realize what an incredible feat that must have been and that having a mom who makes a healthy dinner every night is NOT the standard. [Shout out to my not-standard-mom! Love you!] Mom had a pretty solid repertoire of recipes, one of which was Chicken Divan. This creamy, cheesy, chicken dish was one of my favorites and initiated my moderate tolerance to broccoli (gotta be the tops, cooked but still slightly crisp). I know what you may be thinking- creamy & cheesy?? Bad dietitian, BAD! But fear not, mom was the original recipe modifier, and I've learned her secrets (and a few of my own). This recipe still produces a fabulously creamy, cheesy chicken dish, while lower in saturated fat and cholesterol than the original- yay heart health! FYI, when mom cooks - just like the best chefs in the world - she doesn't have an exact recipe. So I'll share the guess-cipe [ guess + recipe = guess-cipe] and you can adjust to your own taste. Did I mention it takes almost no time to throw this dish together?

**Please don't judge this recipe by its picture. It smelled so incredible when it came out of the oven that we were obsessed with eating it, not taking its picture. **


Chicken Divan-tastic


  • Broccoli, chopped (enough to cover the bottom of a 9x13 pan)
  • Chicken Breasts (enough to cover the broccoli on the bottom of a 9x13 in pan, I used 4 large ones)
  • 1 can 98% Fat Free Cream of Chicken Soup
  • 1/2 c. Low-fat Mayo ( Light mayo is NOT low-fat mayo. Light mayo is actually a bit higher in fat.)
  • Curry powder, to taste (but at least a 1/2 teaspoon)
  • 1/2 tsp Lemon Juice
  • Cheddar Cheese (I used 1/4 c. shredded 50% reduced fat cheddar and 2 oz Colby-Jack)
  • 1% milk (I poured in about 1/4 c.)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9x13 in pan with cooking spray and cover the bottom of the pan evenly with broccoli. Top with raw chicken breasts (they don't even have to be seasoned!). In a medium bowl, mix together cream of chicken soup, mayo, curry powder, lemon juice, shredded cheddar, and 1% milk. Spoon the soupy-cheesy mixture over the chicken and top with sliced colby-jack (you can top with more cheddar, mozzarella, or any other preferred cheese). Bake in the oven, uncovered for ~60 minutes or until the chicken is cooked and its juices run clear.

When I was younger, I would BEG mom to serve this dish over egg noodles, but it was typically served over rice. Now that I'm a grown up I always serve it with egg noodles because grown ups can do that sort of thing. But yolk-free egg noodles, because heart disease is scary.


Fork & Knife Optional




I caught the husband putting the leftovers on roasted garlic italian bread, proving that your serving options are only as limited as your carb options. ENJOY!





No comments:

Post a Comment