Wednesday, August 8, 2012

I'm Back... and I Brought Mango Peach Salsa with Me

There are some things in life that will never change. Paying taxes. Swimming fish. Buying more produce than I can use.

Other things change, and have changed quite a bit for me. Since my last post I've gotten engaged (to that handsome, food-loving man I may have previously mentioned), rescued a precious mutt (fruit & veggie loving Jada), bought a house (with a FABULOUS kitchen), and tied the knot to said handsome, food-loving man.

Now that we're all caught up, let's get down to business. I still love cooking, and I still buy more produce than I can use for the dinners I make. Some girls have a closet full of clothes with tags still on them, swearing they'll one day wear them. I do the same thing, but with zucchini, peaches, tomatoes, etc.  Our new home is close to a weekly farmer's market, which hasn't helped my over-purchasing this summer. How can I resist the juicy peaches, just picked that morning and bursting with sweetness? Or the beautiful red onions with their long, bright green stems still attached? Not possible. So rather than having all of the peaches and red onions sit on the counter (AKA the space that I've turned into a modest sized fruit/vegetable market) I wracked my brain for what I could make. In addition to the overflowing produce on my counter, my herb garden was bursting with fresh cilantro- a perfect problem. It hit me- Mango Peach Salsa

Note the Cilantro busting over the top of the pot. Out of line.


Fresh Mango Peach Salsa

1 Mango, pitted and diced
2 Peaches, pitted and diced
1/2 Red Onion, diced
Fresh Cilantro, roughly chopped
1/3 Jalapeño, finely diced (I'm a big baby. Add more if you're not)
Lime Juice from 1 lime
2 cloves Garlic, crushed

Mix it all together, and let it sit for a few hours. You will be temped to eat it, especially after taking the time to chop and dice everything. Just trust me, it'll be better later. We've eaten it with tortilla chips, crackers, and on chicken and they're all been scrumptious (if I do say so myself)! 


Mango Peach Salsa. Pure summer deliciousness.

Dietitian Disclaimer: besides being delicious, this recipe is chock full of nutrients. 
  • Cilantro is high in Vitamin K, primo for blood clotting and bone health
  • Mangoes are a great source of Vitamin C and fiber. They also have enzymes that can help with digestion
  • Peaches are a good source of beta carotene (magically converted to Vitamin A in our bodies) for eye health

It's good to be back- more to come soon!



1 comment:

  1. yay! I'm glad you are writing! You are a great writer, and have wonderful advice!

    ReplyDelete